Tips For Buying a New Carpet
If you are thinking of buying a new carpet you will realize that this is quite a pricey item and it is worth your while to do a little research before purchasing. Here are a few tips that may help you.
When you check out prices for carpets from different dealers, check out:
* The price of the carpet.
* The underlay price.
* The cost of fitting the carpet.
You may even find that it pays you to go to three different companies for those three different items rather than everything from one store.
However, sometimes you do get large discounts on the underlay and free carpet fitting from just one store if you buy the carpet from them. You need to find out what each store\'s policy is.
When do you buy an expensive carpet, and when is a cheaper one better? One\'s first thought is to buy the best carpet that you can afford. That usually means savings in the long run. This is very true and always pays off except in the following cases:
* When you are renting out a cheap apartment for a fairly short term.
* If you are hiring an uncarpeted apartment for a fairly short term and carpeting is not part of the landlord\'s agreement, so that this expense comes out of your own pocket.
* In a children\'s playroom.
* If you envisage a major home makeover or reconstruction within the next few years.
* In a heavy traffic flow, utility area.
* If you are one of those restless types who thrives on a dramatic change of décor every few years.
If you decide to go for a thinner, less expensive carpet, you can improve the feel and the wear of it by adding an extra thick underlay beneath.
The type of fiber is important for you to consider. There are several options for you to choose from, all with their advantages and disadvantages. Here are a few of the more popular ones:
* Wool is the king of carpet fibers. This is generally considered the best that you can buy. Wool is a group of fibers that comes naturally from various animals. The most common of these are sheep wool fibers sheered from the animals without harming them. Wool carpets are extremely long lasting, beautiful and expensive. Cotton and silk are often used with wool to achieve fine designs. Those made in the Middle East, such as Turkish and Persian carpets tend to become heirlooms.
* Wool and synthetic fibers are sometimes blended to create a less expensive, but classy and easy to clean carpet.
* Nylon is hard wearing and long lasting. It is very easy to clean and stain resistant. Being less absorbent than other fibers it dries quickly when shampooed. They don\'t have the soft feel of genuine wool, but a new ‘soft nylon\' is available that fairly closely mimics the feel. It is a little more expensive though. Many people consider nylon carpets to be the best of the synthetic fiber choices.
* Polypropylene fibres are inexpensive and often form small loops in the weave. Sometimes artificial lawn grass is made from it. It wears well and is stain resistant when treated with a protective coating, but gets soiled very quickly, looking shabby when dirty.
* Polyester is often recycled material (for those concerned with the environment and value this practice). It is a really attractive, soft fiber with lovely colors, but only for a short time. It cleans easily but soils even more easily. It is not durable, the carpets wearing ‘pathways\' in heavy traffic areas and they don\'t recover completely when cleaned. They tend to be considerably cheaper than many other carpets. They are probably best where there is little traffic.
I wrote this article after speaking to a carpet cleaning Melbourne based business. He mostly offers carpet cleaning in toorak where they have nice carpets.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/home-improvement-articles/tips-for-buying-a-new-carpet-4291880.htmlAbout the Author
I am an online marketing consultant with expertise in SEO, SEM, Web Analytics & Affiliate marketing.Explore Related Pages
Options in Selecting the Best Residential Carpet Cleaning
Wool Carpet Vs Nylon Carpet
Why to Choose Nylon Carpeting for Your Kids and Pets
Winns Pro Carpet Cleaning Home
Winns Pro Carpet Cleaning Service Areas
Carpet Cleaning in Glenwood Springs 81601
Carpet Cleaning in Aspen 81611